Thursday, August 4, 2016

Saint John Vianney

This morning with Peter we will listen as Jesus whispers this hauntingly beautiful question to him and to each of us, “Who do you say that I am?”

We have the following prayer written by Saint John Vianney. Perhaps this would be his answer:
I love you, O my God, and my only desire is to love you until the last breath of my life. I love you, O my infinitely lovable God, and I would rather die loving you, than live without loving you. I love you, Lord, and the only grace I ask is to love you eternally. My God, if my tongue cannot say in every moment that I love you, I want my heart to repeat it to you as often as I draw breath.

But who do you say that Jesus is for you? What is your name for him?  Perhaps first of all for each of us, Jesus is Mercy. Let us open our hearts to him.

Photo by Brother Brian.