Friday, May 24, 2019

My Friends

You are my friends if you do what I command you.
I no longer call you slaves,
because a slave does not know what his master is doing.
I have called you friends,
because I have told you everything 
I have heard from my Father. 
John 15

Imagine what it might be like to know yourself liked by God, truly appreciated, loved with great tenderness, understanding, compassion. Could God be at least as good as your best friend?  A friend knows your brokenness and your goodness and just loves being with you.  

As friends of God, we can marvelously exchange our everything with God’s everything - our need with the fullness of his loving mercy. Our friendship with God in Christ through the Spirit is ultimately fulfilled in our promise to love one another as we have been loved and to create households and communities of friends, where we try to love as God loves.

Photograph by Father Emmanuel.