Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Brother Kenneth's Simple Profession

Our Brother Kenneth Hessemer pronounced his simple vows and received the black scapular and leather belt during Chapter on Sunday, June 4. We rejoice in his self-offering to the Lord. Abbot Vincent's exhortation follows.

Br. Kenneth, the Holy Scriptures tell us, “My son, when you come to serve the Lord, prepare yourself for trials” (Sir 2.1). This seems an appropriate quote for you as you prepare to make your profession of vows to God in the presence of your brothers. And this quote is not without interest to those of us who have gone before you on this Cistercian way. If we did not prepare ourselves beforehand, we join you in receiving this exhortation now, that our striving may not be in vain.

This Scripture passage came to my mind last month when we celebrated the Feast of St. Rafael, our beloved and saintly Cistercian Oblate. You may remember the second nocturn reading at vigils, all about the exalted life in La Trapa - peeling turnips during the cold of winter. St. Rafael gives us a clear explanation of our hidden life in a very few words. Among other things, he says: Time passes slowly, and my knife does too, moving between the skin and flesh, leaving the turnips perfectly peeled. The little devils continue to wage war on me. To think that I left my house to come here in the cold and peel these stupid turnips!! It is truly a ridiculous thing, this business of peeling turnips with the seriousness of a magistrate in mourning. A tiny, shrewd devil infiltrates me, and from deep within it reminds me subtly of my house, my family, and my freedom…which I left behind in order to lock myself in here with these lentils, potatoes, collard greens, and turnips.

Ah! It is truly a ridiculous thing (at least in the eyes of the world) to leave everything and waste one’s life in a monastery. St. Rafael continues: …then suddenly, quick as the wind, a powerful light pierced my soul… ‘What are you doing?’ What am I doing, what am I doing? Good Lord!!...What a question! Peeling turnips…peeling turnips! ‘But why?” …And my heart, leaping, gave a wild answer: I’m peeling turnips for love…for love of Jesus Christ.

Who would have thought that peeling turnips was our School of Love? But here we have it. Whether peeling turnips or making vows to God, for St. Raphael it is all the same when done for love of Jesus Christ. He goes on: May we be able to make the most of our time…May we be able to love that blessed cross that the Lord places in our path, whatever it may be, no matter what. Let us make the most of the little things in our everyday life, or ordinary life…There is no need to do great things to become great saints. Making the little things great is enough.

St. Rafael had his own little way, honed in on the fire of the Cistercian environment. He concludes: Anyhow, if I live in La Trapa for many years, I will turn heaven into a kind of vegetable market…and when the Lord calls me and says to me, ‘that’s enough peeling, drop the knife and apron and come enjoy the fruits of your labor' …when I see myself in heaven among God and the saints (especially, his beloved Virgin Mary) and so many vegetables…my Lord Jesus, I cannot help but laugh.

Br. Kenneth- the absurdity of turnips, of flight from the world, of the cross…in union with the holy Virgin and our Lord Jesus Christ- we welcome you on this journey of love.

Photographs by Brother Brian.