Friday, October 4, 2024

The Hidden Spring of Water

Where in my own life and experience have I found that spring of water in the midst of the garden of Eden that makes it possible for God to shape the Adam in me into a living being by softening the clay of the ground and making it malleable, responsive to the divine Sculptor’s hands? We must discover, at the center of the garden of our lives, the hidden spring of water that God has surely hidden there! We must continually return to it like the Samaritan woman to her well. Discovering that deep well within ourselves is perhaps the central activity of our spiritual search. That discovery goes hand-in-hand with my response to what the Lord says to us through Jeremiah: “Like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.” The hidden spring must water the clay of my being for as long as I am on that potter’s wheel.


ERASMO LEIVA-MERIKAKIS The Way of the Disciple, Ch. 1