Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Providence

God is constantly “acting on our behalf, out of love for us;” drawing us into our truest identity. And since God preserves the universe in being, we believe that he acts in and with every creature in each and all its activities. This is not to say we are stuck in some plan, some occult predestination, but that God is always, always calling, beckoning us, drawing us to himself, longing to fill us with himself, drawing us into the Trinity. We name this Divine Providence.*

We are all invited to look back and notice the finger of God, to reflect on our own lives with a kind of road-back-to Jerusalem-from-Emmaus insight- “It was the Lord all the time, though I did not recognize him. It was you Lord, calling, using anything at all to bring me to you, to my truth, to the secret for which I was made.” It was, it is God’s finger in my life day in day out.

In the end each of us can say with Isaiah, “The Lord called me from my mother’s womb; he pronounced my very name…” Divine Providence has been at work in our individual stories, our histories, through all the blessings and reversals. These graces must be named and celebrated as God’s work in us, through us, for us. 

* See The Catholic Encyclopedia. Photograph by Brother Brian.