Friday, March 16, 2012

Our Hope

I will love them freely;
for my wrath is turned away from them.
I will be like the dew for Israel:
he shall blossom like the lily;
He shall strike root like the Lebanon cedar,
and put forth his shoots.
His splendor shall be like the olive tree
and his fragrance like the Lebanon cedar.
They shall blossom like the vine,
and his fame shall be like the wine of Lebanon.
Ephraim! What more has he to do with idols?
I have humbled him, but I will prosper him.
"I am like a verdant cypress tree"
Because of me you bear fruit!

Lent means spring. We notice the tender shoots of first flowers and recall the words of this morning's first reading from the Prophet Hosea. The Lord is going up to Jerusalem, where he will be nailed to the verdant tree of the cross. Drenched in the fountain of blood and water flowing from his open side, we will be filled with life and hope. Indeed because of Jesus' self-offering in love, we shall blossom and flourish.