Sunday, August 4, 2013

Brother Francis

In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thes 5.18  
We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. Rom 8.28 


Brother Francis entered the monastery in 1952 when he was 25 years old. The construction of many of the Abbey buildings was underway, and he helped carrying bricks and stones. He says, "When I entered the monastery God gave me the desire to give myself totally to Him, and that desire has never left me." Indeed Francis is a continuing source of edification and inspiration for his brothers.

Brother has worked for many years at Trappist Preserves in quality control and scheduling jelly production. In addition he is the Abbey's master of ceremonies.  And through the years Francis has patiently trained scores of newcomers for their roles in the liturgical functions.


He says that the monastery has been the perfect place for him in that it allows him to "cultivate mindfulness of God and living in His presence." He continues, "When I reflect on my life within the monastery and before, I begin to see how God has been active in my whole life; and I have come to believe that God really does love me."