Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Two Sons

We've all heard about the “terrible twos” And probably we can remember a child, a son or daughter, a nephew or niece who at about two years old learned the power of no. “No.” I’ve been thinking, with no small amount of embarrassment, that I never really outgrew the grip of that no. Sad to say, I think my terrible twos morphed into the terrible tens, twenties, forties, and now worst of all now even the terrible sixties. Deep inside me, there’s a repeating sound bite that often goes off automatically when I’m asked to do something. It goes something like this: “Not yet. When I’m good and ready. I’ll think about it. Maybe. I’ll see.” Or simply, “No, I won’t.” Or “No one’s gonna tell me what to do.”

But the hauntingly beautiful phrase from St. Paul cuts through all the babble: “Have this mind in you that was in Christ Jesus.” Have Jesus’ beautiful mind in you. Beautiful to ponder, but seemingly impossible for me. I feel too sharply the reproach of my reality, my no. I come to you this morning feeling somewhat ill-equipped to speak about the change of heart that all today’s readings clearly invite us to. I feel a sham, having so often grumbled to myself; too quickly said, “No,” out of fear, because of what I may have to lose, what hardship may be involved or simply because I’ll do it my way. After all, where might my yes lead me?

And so at first sniff, today’s Gospel seems to be a great allowance, and I feel I’m off the hook. After all, if the notorious sinners can get into the Kingdom, certainly there’s a crack in the doorway for me, right? Like the first son, I’m willing to change my mind, perhaps not in a hurry, but eventually. The two groups of people whom Jesus presents as examples for us this morning were among the most despised members of Jewish society. Tax collectors took money from Jews for an alien power, and prostitutes sold their favors most often to Roman soldiers. But even the tax collectors and prostitutes, despised for their collaboration with the Romans, are admirable because of their openness to the message of Jesus and his cousin John. See Daniel Harrington Jesus praises the readiness of these outsiders to change their minds and hearts - they’re broken enough, they know themselves outcasts and sinners. They have no illusions about themselves and so would not refuse an invitation to change, reform. They know they’re a mess, they know it all too well. They’ve got nothing to lose; they’ve lost it all already. So what am I afraid to lose?

Jesus tells there were two sons, neither had the ideal response, but one had the good sense to step up. But most importantly we have the experience of a third Son, Jesus, the Son who was always Yes. “For in him every one of God’s promises is a yes.” And only through him, can we say our yes to all God wants for us. “Have this mind in you that was in Christ Jesus.” The beautiful mind of Jesus. There was always one thing on his mind, self-forgetful love. Love makes Jesus defenseless, he will do anything at all for the Father who loves him, and for all of us - those whom the Father has given to him. 

Reflection by one of our monks.