Thursday, April 7, 2022

Free In Him

I see four men unfettered and unhurt, walking in the fire…. They disobeyed the royal command and yielded their bodies rather than serve or worship any god except their own God. I can hardly imagine a more poignant image than this to illustrate the freedom of the human spirit and, ironically, it comes from the lips of the oppressive pagan tyrant, Nebuchadnezzar. For his part, Jesus assures us in the gospel that, if you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. The highest freedom we can enjoy is not the ability to choose anything we want or behave in any way we want, but rather to know the truth and choosing it as our own principle of life, thought, and action. We make ourselves free only insofar as we embrace the truth that is revealed to us from outside ourselves.

What makes us free is allowing Jesus, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and His Word, to abide in our hearts. I cannot be my own principle of liberation because I did not create myself. I cannot have my freedom from myself any more than I have my being from myself. Fullness of freedom lies in becoming fervent disciples of the Truth Incarnate, that is, in communing in a relationship of faithful love with God in the Body of Jesus Christ. Then we will walk free, unfettered, and unhurt even in the midst of the fire of Christ’s Passion and Death, which the Father now invites us to celebrate and share. 

Reflection by Father Simeon.