Friday, March 17, 2023

With Saint Patrick

 

I arise today, through
The strength of heaven,
The light of the sun,
The radiance of the moon,
The splendor of fire,
The speed of lightning,
The swiftness of wind,
The depth of the sea,
The stability of the earth,
The firmness of rock.
I arise today, through
God's strength to pilot me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me
From snares of devils,
From temptation of vices.


Stained glass by Harry Clarke. Excerpts from St. Patrick's Breastplate, a prayer also known as The Lorica (The Cry of the Deer). This prayer reflects the spirit of the faith that St. Patrick brought to Ireland.