Tuesday, September 13, 2016

God's Incomprehensibility

I know many things but I do not know how to explain them. I know that God is everywhere and I know that he is everywhere in his whole being. But I do not know how he is everywhere. I know that he is eternal and has no beginning. But I do not know how. My reason fails to grasp how it is possible for an essence to exist when that essence has receives its existence neither from itself nor from another. I know that he begot the Son. But I do not know how. I know that the Spirit is from him. But I do not know how the Spirit is from him….His judgments are inscrutable, his ways are unsearchable, his peace surpasses all understanding, his gift is indescribable, what God has prepared for those who love him has not entered into the heart of man, his greatness has no bound, his understanding is infinite. Are all these incomprehensible while only God himself can be comprehended? What excessive madness would it be to say that. Saint John Chrysostom

Saint John Chrysostom reminds us that a God who is comprehensible would not be God at all but something of our own creation. God is Other but closer to us than we can know. God is always near, always drawing nearer to us and always beyond. Our response is wonder; we bow down and worship.

Photograph of Abbey glass by Brother Daniel.