Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Saints Peter & Paul

 

An essential element of our monastic conversatio is mindfulness of God. We are to be responsive to the Holy Spirit and so cultivate continual mindfulness of God's presence. A good part of this “mindfulness” often entails a great deal of “mindfulness of my desperate need for God’s mercy.” And my heart is broken open with regret and repentance as I recall, sometimes in vivid detail, the dumb, selfish things that are a real and embarrassing part of my past. How could I have been such a jerk? God is not surprised. Why should I be? So it is that I remember blowing up at my Dad one day for some trifle that I deemed inappropriate. I was not proud of myself. And a day or so later, I had the sense to apologize. His response was simple, “Jimmy, you never have to apologize to me.” This touched me deeply. His words were my forgiveness. He knew me and understood me, he loved me.  And I understood that the love, the relationship we had, meant more and could tolerate the breach. In the end, I think I really learned to forgive and what it feels like to be forgiven by my father. He simply was not a grudge-holder. And when I was trying to muster the courage to take steps toward entering this monastery, it was somehow imagining his words as the Father’s words deep in my heart that gave me the courage I needed, “Give it a try. What have you got to lose?” My father knew me well. 

The idea of "knowing" in Ancient Hebrew thought implies a highly personal and intimate relationality. (See Jeff Benner) It is the intimate knowledge of lovers; in Genesis, we read that Adam "knew Eve his wife". And we pray in the psalm, “O God, you search me, and you know me,” implying an intimate loving awareness that is much, much more than God smugly spying on us. Hopefully, most often, this knowledge spurs a response, and we say with Saint Paul, “All I want is to know Christ.”

Both Peter and Paul whom we feast today came to understand themselves as fully known - forgiven failures who were loved by their resurrected and wounded Master. Jesus knew them both so well. These two pillars of the Church come before us this morning, a bit sheepishly, embarrassed by all the hoopla in their honor, they lower their heads and point to Jesus, whose mercy alone is their boast. Peter who, even as his best friend is being roughed up by soldiers and sentenced and spat upon, insists to a serving girl in the glow of a charcoal fire that he doesn’t even know who that man is. And Paul who’s been dragging the first followers of Jesus from their homes to prison and persecution. Both Peter and Paul find themselves discovered by the mercy of God in Christ Jesus, who identifies himself as the betrayed one, the persecuted one.

Both are converted, literally turned around by mercy. Peter who three times denied his Friend in the light of a charcoal fire is given the opportunity by Jesus three times to proclaim his love early one morning by another charcoal fire. There on the beach, he gets to say, “Lord, I do love you; you know well that I love you.” Jesus knew that all along never doubted it.

So, we know how Peter and Paul would respond to Jesus’ question, but what about when we hear the wounded resurrected Christ Jesus ask us this same question, majestic in its quiet insecurity Who? Who do you say I am/ How do you experience me? And Paul temporarily blinded by the glaring light of Christ’s self-revelation- “I am Jesus whom you are persecuting”- speaking from his deep-down experience will tell us that, “Nothing whatever can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus, our Lord.” Their encounters, and their evolving relationships with Jesus the wounded Life-giver, empower them both to be themselves wounded and forgiven life-givers. They have been empowered by mercy and compassion and forgiveness. We celebrate two men desperately in need of transformation, a transformation that happens in their encounters with their most merciful betrayed and persecuted Lord.

Paul will say it best: “God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things that are mighty.” Clearly, God’s preference for the weak is all about availability. Simply put- it is that only what is fragile, weak (and) precarious according to the order of this world that can allow itself to be “broken so as to be created anew.” That which is vulnerable is transformable; what is sinful can be mercied. But what is stiff, stubborn, and intractable is stagnant and stuck. Allowing myself to be forgiven changes everything.

Perhaps this is our most important work as monks- to allow things to fall apart and notice that, as things fall apart, we are more available for mercy. Perhaps part of our work is to normalize this fragmentation for one another- normalize the falling apart as the means to a most glorious end, life in Christ Jesus. This is not a careless, presumptive laziness, (“I’m broken, you’re broken; Christ will rescue us. No problem!”) Neither is it the blind leading the blind into a catastrophic fall. It is rather the weak leading the weak into a willing acknowledgment and celebration of the inevitability of our fragmentation and weakness as good news that will lead to our transformation in Christ. And so, I like to imagine us encouraging each other as once the about-to-be martyrs did, watching and waiting their turn with the beasts there in the dreary dugouts of the Coliseum. “Go forward; don’t be afraid. This falling, this dying will not be your dissolution but your means, a royal, jubilant gateway to new and more abundant life in Christ, into Christ. Go ahead, let yourself be eaten up! It’s worth it. He’s worth it. Don’t be afraid.” 

Jesus’ question to Peter, to each of us in this morning’s Gospel, situates us with Peter poised to listen to our Master as he whispers this hauntingly beautiful question to each of us in the depths of our hearts, “Who do you say that I am? Who am I for you? What is your experience of me in your life, in your history? How do you experience me now?” What will you answer? Perhaps when we come to understand ourselves as sinners desperately beloved by God in Christ, then with Peter we can say, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God,” and with Paul, “All I want is to know (you) Christ Jesus and the power flowing from (your) resurrection. Now nothing else matters.” 

When we eat this Bread and drink this cup, we proclaim with every fiber of our being that Mercy has found us, that we too like our saints have been empowered by his forgiveness because love is more powerful than death.

Reflection by one of the monks.