Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Saints Isaac Jogues, Jean de Brébeuf and Their Companions

As monks, we know that the martyrs are our forbears and exemplars in the monastic life. And surely this prayer of Saint Ignatius had formed the hearts of the Jesuit martyrs we remember today. Ignatius would pray in these words:

Take, O Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, my entire will, all that I have, and all that I possess. You gave it all to me, Lord; I give it all back to you. Do with it as you will, according to your good pleasure. Give me your love and your grace; for with this, I have all that I need.

Jesus the Divine Thief longs to sneak in and take us to himself; take all that we have and all that we are.

Inspired by the ardor and exquisite generosity of the North American Martyrs, let us surrender completely to the constant invasion of God's mercy in Christ.