Sunday, January 29, 2023

Beatitudes

 

The Galilee of Jesus’ day was a muddle of power struggles; rich elites were getting richer and richer by burdening the poor with endless tolls and ever-higher taxes. And religious leaders kept piling on rules and regulations that assured the poor of their exclusion. Jesus arrives and announces a higher grace. (See David Brooks) He brings good news to the poor, sets free those oppressed and heavily burdened, and he is teaching the people how to hope again. Jesus is this great surge of God’s compassion rushing in with a relentless, astoundingly gentle but ferocious urgency and energy. And he is enacting a great reversal. He eats with sinners, casts out demons, and cures people no matter which day of the week it is. He touches lepers and so has become unclean. He even dares to forgive sins. Who does he think he is?

 

Jesus sees things differently, he grants access to the kingdom directly to outcasts and the downtrodden, offering not pity but blessing. He speaks to them this morning on a “stretch of level ground” – their level. The standards of the world are toppled. Jesus is with them, he has become poor for their sake, he is a wandering preacher, who has nowhere to rest his head. Jesus is the love and beauty of God, this breakthrough of God’s compassion in the midst of all the muck, violence, and pettiness. And as he mingles openly with his often underfed and unemployed followers, Jesus assures them: “You are seen by God. You may be poor and hungry, weeping and hated, but you are blessed, never ever forgotten.” In and through Jesus, they have been found by God’s compassion. We can well imagine their surprise as they hear his message this morning. More than one looks over their shoulder to see who he’s talking to. “Oh, I think he means us.” Jesus is not joking around nor offering false hope but assuring them of the fullness and joy that God wants for them. Jesus topples the values of the world and invites us to see the world in terms of God’s values. He names the poor makarios, truly blessed and fortunate; they can rejoice in the midst of their suffering for in God’s eyes they are favored.

 

Now, it’s embarrassing to admit, but most of the time I come to the Gospel Beatitudes, wondering how I’m doing. You know like: how m’I doin'? Would Jesus number me among his blessed ones? Did I make the cut? After all, I’ve had some tough breaks. Right? But am I poor enough, have I suffered enough? Fool that I am. At this point I sense the Lord giving me the time-out sign. Time out, this isn’t tryouts for the kingdom. The invitation is simply to listen, just listen to Jesus, stay with him, abide with him and notice those whom he names blessed. Notice who it is that is getting his attention and allow my priorities to be shifted.

 

Any of us who have had the privilege of working with the truly poor have experienced this. I remember working in Belize many years ago. I would often go to the very simple home of one family; it was a little wooden house on stilts. I loved being there with these friends. They didn’t have much. One evening they announced, “We have something special for you.” What could it be? Jello. (I hate jello.) But that night jello became sacred. Holy Communion. I savored every bit of my lime jello like never before.

 

The Beatitudes are not a checklist for the spiritually ambitious, but an invitation to see as God sees. An invitation to notice who Jesus is speaking to and quietly, gratefully, graciously, humbly find our place with him among those who are disadvantaged and oppressed and learn to live by a new set of standards. Abiding with the poor, staying with the poor Christ, we learn what is truly important. It’s about welcoming vulnerability and being unattached to anything less than God. It’s not about doing anything but responding to the hope and higher grace that Jesus relentlessly offers. He is our true Beatitude, though he was rich, yet for our sake he became poor, abandoned even unto death on a cross.

 

But woe to us, woe to us if, stranded in our selfishness, we are forgetful of our constant dependence on God’s mercy and compassion. Woe to us if we forget that our blessedness demands that we learn to see as God sees, and to love as God loves. Woe to us if we ignore the poor. Beatitude is about stepping into the blessedness of those who know their desperate need for God, those who have no other treasure but him.

 

I am reminded of an afternoon some years ago, as I was trudging down Broadway in Manhattan feeling terribly despondent as I made my way to class. I was stopped in my tracks, as I noticed, written in large letters with colored chalk on the sidewalk, these words: “I am well-pleased.” It was as if the sidewalk itself was crying out – “You are seen, you are noticed, even blest, you have been found by God’s compassion.” Maybe we could write that all over the cloister floors, on all the hallway floors: “I am well pleased.” Might be helpful.

Who is Jesus noticing? Who am I noticing? Whom have you seen? Who do you see each day around here? A brother with Lou Gehrig’s disease literally dragging himself into this church to pray Vigils. A young monk in a rush interrupted and now leaning down to an elder who wants him to read the latest notes on the bulletin board to him. The one I judge, the one I take for granted, the one I’ve made invisible. How will I notice the poor one I am liable to miss, the ignored or forgotten one - in my world, in my heart, in my mirror?

In the kingdom proclaimed by Jesus this morning, a revolution is happening, with vulnerability at the center. Inadequacy and vulnerability are the keys to beatitude, the source of all that can give us life and joy, love, belonging, and connectedness. For when I am vulnerable, I realize that I desperately need God; I realize that I desperately need others. And I come to understand that I am perfectly incomplete, perfectly inadequate, and on the way, certainly not poor like the truly economically disadvantaged whom Jesus addresses this morning, but somehow, connected by the grace of self-knowledge. Then real prayer becomes possible. And Eucharist becomes real. How blessed are they who trust in the Lord, whose hope is the Lord. How truly blessed are those who know their desperate need for God.

Photograph by Brother Brian. Reflection by one of our monks.