Thursday, February 4, 2021

Enough

Jesus admonishes his disciples this morning to “take nothing for the journey but a walking stick–no food, no sack, no money in their belts.” What are we to do? What shall we take with us as we go? 

In our heart of hearts we know, Jesus alone is enough for us. We cry out to him with the Psalmist, “You alone Lord, make me dwell in safety. It is you who are my portion and cup. The lot marked out for me is my delight.” 

Take, O Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will. Whatever I have or hold, you have given me; I restore it all to you and surrender it wholly to be governed by your will. Give me only your love and your grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more. 

Photograph by Brother Brian. Prayer of Saint Ignatius Loyola